Wednesday, December 15, 2010

A true story.

I knocked on a door today and a Japanese woman named Hifumi opened the door. She readily signed the petition to restore funding to the CT Department of Environmental Protection (which makes sense since they regulate air and water quality, something they can't do without their budget). The next part of the speech is where I talk about fundraising, how we are run on donations and donations alone, how their donation will help us go up against multi-billion dollar corporations, yadayadayada. She's reticent about it and her kids keep coming and tugging on her sleeve, not saying anything, but tugging on her sleeve. She said that she would think about the donation and I wrote her a blank receipt so that she could remember it. I then reached the final part, where we ask the supporter to write a letter to their senator and representative in the state legislature. There's a law that states a politician has to read a letter placed on their desk. We take advantage of that and have people write letters, come back a few hours later and pick them up. This woman clearly was in a rush. Finally, even though I'd been pushing her to get me the letter by 8:30 and involve the whole family, she broke. "Look, my kids are both autistic and I really won't have time for this tonight." I looked at her, through her even, "I have friends with autistic siblings. I understand how they can be a burden, but I also understand how they can also be a great joy. There's something pure about them, a incorruptible innocence, a great confidence in the goodness of humanity. If you don't have time, I understand. But even if they want to draw a picture of a river and write 'save the rivers', we can send that to the politicians and they have to read it." I told her I would stop by later to see if she had the letters, and if she didn't, please mail it to our office.

I came back and there was a brown paper bag with three pocket warmers, a letter from her to both the senator and representative, and a shaky pencil drawing of a river with the caption, "SaVe tHE RIveRS".

I started crying then. Sometime people are ugly and horrendous, filled with apathy and spite, turning their words against you to demoralize you and make you feel powerless. Sometimes they are beautiful, strong, and kind. Never lose faith in the basic goodness of people, never.

No comments:

Post a Comment